Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Praying for Charity

Things are going well, but the baptisms didn't work out the way that we had hoped.  Norberto did accept the invitation to be baptized, but no date yet.  We haven't got in contact this week with the girls who want to be baptized.  Ed and Sarah didn't come to church this week because their clothes were dirty and the washer had broke. (Lame excuse if you ask me:).  They are both trying to overcome their tobacco addiction, and just quit on Friday.  Elder Campbell was super excited about taking away Ed's chew.  Ed gave it right up and said that is how bad he wants to be baptized.  This Sunday was critical for them to attend.  We told them the importance of the sacrament and church, and made it very clear that we were willing to do whatever it took to get them to church - bring new clothes, wash their dirty clothes, get them a ride, anything and everything.  They said they would just study by themselves.  We were pretty bummed.  Despite those disappointments, we have been involving the ward more.  We made it a goal to visit every home in our "orange" area this week.

Elder Campbell has taught me to be bold.  He is so good at saying what he thinks (although sometimes that gets him in a pickle).  He thinks about what others need and knows exactly what he is going to do to get them that.  He loved taking Ed's chew.  He is so funny.

Here's Hyrum holding the chewing tobacco Elder Campbell took away from Ed.  I'm not sure how many times Hyrum has held a can of chew???  Maybe this is his first??  Kind of looks like it:)

This week may possibly have been the best week of the mission.  I was not afraid to speak to people or to "fail".  The days just seemed to run themselves.  I trusted in Heavenly Father to give me the words to say and show us where to go.  Elder Campbell and I were doing God's will, instead of what we thought we needed to do.  Even though we were rejected (like usual), and stared at, and ignored, and lied to, I couldn't have been happier.  During no other week have I felt more confident in God, felt more love for the people around me, been more bold.  About halfway through the week both Elder Campbell and I began to wonder why we felt so good.  We both agreed that it was our daily prayers and study of Christlike attributes and the Atonement!  I had decided to take the advice from Moroni 7:48.  This scripture is in the Book of Mormon.  Verse 47 says,"But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."  And verse 48 says "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ. . ." Every day I prayed for charity, to see people as God sees them and love them.  The instant I did that, bold questions that came out of my mouth surprised Elder Campbell and myself.  I guess you could say that I let go of the things that I wished I could control, and only did what I could out of love for the people around us.  It was a great experience.  (Also, I am pretty sure that someone was praying pretty hard for me, but I don't know for sure who. . . )

We were able to do 2 hours of community service this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment