Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The MTC


I love the MTC. Yeah it's tough, and extremely exhausting both mentally and physically, but I love the feeling here. There are so many missionaries who are all going out into the world to preach about Jesus Christ! The unity and spirit I feel here is strong.

Elder Ruby and Elder Dorius with one of their "investigators".
As soon as I got settled in at the MTC, I was assigned a companion.  My companion's name is Elder Justin Dorius and is from Heber City, UT.  His dad is a dentist, his mom likes to workout and raise her kids, he has two 8 yr old twin brothers, and a 16 yr old brother. This guy is now one of my best friends.  He is 6'6", he likes to hike, fish, play basketball, sing, read, and play the piano.  I love listening to him play.  He has a really fantastic talent and can make music up from his head that sounds really good. We get along really well and teach with really great unity.

Elder Ruby and his district with one of his teachers.
Who knew learning to teach would be so challenging! I thought I knew what to say, but I have found that the hardest thing to learn is how to be so personal and observant.  We are told to teach people, not lessons if you know what I mean.  Our goal is not to convince others that we are right and they should hear what we have to say.  In fact, it is almost the opposite.  We are to listen, discern the needs of investigators, and teach them about Christ in a way that helps them come closer to God.  My purpose as a missionary is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End.
Keep up the good work, everyone.

Love,
Elder Hyrum Ruby
By the way, if Mormon Missionaries ever knock on your door, just think it's me knocking and let them in.  They really do have a great message to share whether you want to believe it or not

1 comment:

  1. Hyrum, I love how you stated that if a Missionary comes to our door to think of them as you. I can't imagine anyone turning YOU away. I know it will happen every day you are out there--they just don't know how wonderful you are and people are scared. You will pass those blessings on to those who God wants you too and I can't wait to hear all about it. Love you tons~ Aunt Lynsey

    ReplyDelete