Saturday, December 27, 2014

"White-Washing"

Just before Christmas Hyrum wrote:

Boy, has this past week been a roller coaster!

This first week of "white-washing" in Santa Maria started out a bit rough.  I was sooooo stressed!  It had nothing to do with my companion.  He is amazing.  I had to totally rely on Heavenly Father to help me.  The notes that were left (by the previous missionaries) didn't give us too much information, so we just had to do our best.  We are getting more familiar with the streets and names now.  The ward is fantastic.  The bishop is missionary minded.  Our ward missionary leader is invested in us.  We are doing well and praying that we find new investigators.

My new companion, Elder Campbell, is amazing.  He is so humble, soooo ambitious, enthusiastic, and so bold.  He wants to work hard.  He is adjusting well.  Elder Campbell is focused and he studies well. He watches what I do.  He told me the other day that he noticed my prayers are really sincere and so he has begun to be more sincere when he prays.  We balance each other out and are accountable to each other.   Elder Campbell loves to talk, so sometimes the lessons/conversations with others get carried away, but I am just pleased with his excitement for being a missionary.  He is AWESOME. :)  I often think that I don't know if I could have done this without him.

Wednesday was a trial for me. I was stressed out of my mind!  I felt so hopeless, helpless, uninformed, and alone.  I felt so much pressure and responsibility as a trainer, and unsure of what to do and where to start.  I didn't want to do the wrong thing.  I felt like I needed to be perfect for Elder Campbell, and that I would be setting a bad example if things didn't go as I expected them to go.  Of course, none of that helplessness, hopelessness, or feelings of worry were coming from God.  As I knelt crying, the words came to me, "I am confident that you will do the right thing!"  That was when I knew all of this was going to be okay.  I didn't feel bad like I did before.  It was like a burden was taken from my back and a wall was taken from my mind.  I know this was the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  I know He lives and knows me!  I know this is His work, not mine.  And I know that He wants to help us and loves us.

We did 3 1/2 hours of service this week.  We helped a less active member do his yard work and also helped another less active lady organize.

No comments:

Post a Comment